You all know how much I love a good quesadilla. My unofficial motto is “everything tastes better in a tortilla filled with cheese.” There are many great quesadilla recipes online, but I wanted one that was simple enough to be ready for quick weeknight meals. This Creamy Chicken Spinach quesadilla is a great recipe with only a few ingredients and a delicious, creamy flavor.
HOW TO SERVE CREAMY CHICKEN & SPINACH QUESADILLAS
These quesadillas are rich and creamy. I recommend serving them with salsa instead of sour cream or guacamole, as you would normally find in restaurants. The acidity in salsa is perfect to balance and brighten the creamy quesadillas. The photo shows it with a Chipotle Pepper Salsa and a Tomatillo Poblano Salsa. Both items are Kroger’s Private Selection label.
HOW MUCH DOES IT SERVE?
Quesadillas can be eaten as a side or full-blown meal. You will have a different preference for serving sizes. My boyfriend ate one, and I ate three. So I am just listing them per quesadilla. You are free to choose your serving size. 😉
SPINACH QUESADILLAS AND CREAMY CHICKEN
These Creamy Chicken & Spinach Quesadillas can be made in a matter of minutes and are delicious enough to serve as the main course. Ideal for picky eaters and busy weeknights.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (approximately 3/4 lb. ($2.97)
- 3/4 tsp chili powder ($0.05)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin ($0.03)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1 Tbsp of cooking oil ($0.04)
- 2 cups fresh spinach ($0.87)
- 4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded ($1.00).
- 1/2 cup sour cream ($0.35)
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas ($0.96)
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap. You can quickly pound the chicken breast with a rolling pin or mallet. This should take no more than 15-20 seconds. This will allow it to cook quickly and evenly without drying out.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powders, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Spread the spice mixture on both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Over medium heat, heat the oil in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts and cook each side for 5 minutes. You can use a thermometer to check that the internal temperature has reached 165oF. Let the chicken cool on a cutting board for five minutes before chopping it into small pieces.
- As the chicken cooks, chop the spinach into small pieces. Mix the chicken, cheese, spinach, and sour milk in a bowl. Stir until well combined.
- The filling should be divided between four tortillas. Fold the tortillas in half. In a skillet*, heat the quesadillas until they are browned. Each side should be cooked for 3-5 minutes. Each quesadilla should be cut in half.
*I prefer to make my quesadillas in an oven, but oil can be used if you want them to have a more “fried-like” texture.
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 394.6 kcal Carbohydrates 32.48 G Protein 13.4 g Fat 23.08 g Sodium: 672.95 mg Fiber 3.68 g