My interest in canned salmon was rekindled recently, and I decided to play with it again. A good salmon burger is a good place to start. But, I wanted to do something a little different. I added some Homemade Cajun Seasoning to the mix, and it turned out to be a super flavorful burger. It was also very easy. These Cajun Salmon Burgers will be a regular on my “easy weeknight meals” menu.
WHY IS CANNED SALMON SUITABLE?
Although canned salmon may not be the best choice, it is convenient and economical. Cans of salmon can be kept in the freezer for quick meals and don’t spoil. If you prefer, you can use fresh salmon. Cook the salmon until it is cooked through before you prepare the burgers. About 1 cup of cooked and flaked salmon is needed.
CAN I USE CAJUN SEASONING BOUGHT IN-STORE?
Yep! You can, but be aware that some Cajun seasoning mixes contain quite a bit of salt. This is why I prefer to make my own Cajun seasoning. It allows me to adjust the salt to suit my taste. Cajun Salmon Burgers were made with 1/4 of my Homemade Cajun Seasoning recipe. That’s about 1/2 Tbsp.
HOW TO SERVE CAJUN SILMON BURGERS
I went easy and topped my hamburgers with spring mix and some guacamole. Or, you could go the traditional route with just mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato. You can also make your remoulade Sauce. Cajun salmon burgers are also served on a salad instead of a bun.
CAJUN SALMON BURGERS
A combination of shelf-stable canned salmon and a few pantry staples makes a delicious Cajun Salmon Burger easy to make for weeknight meals.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Refrigerate: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 6 oz. Canned salmon (boneless, skinless), $44.99.
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs ($0.06)
- 1 large egg ($0.25)
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground mustard ($0.02)
- One green onion, sliced ($0.05).
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp oregano ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme ($0.02)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or to your taste) ($0.01)
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper (0.01)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- 1/2 Tbsp of cooking oil ($0.02)
- 1/2 Tbsp butter ($0.03)
- 2 buns ($0.83)
- 1/4 cup Guacamole ($0.66)
- 1 cup spring mix (0.32)
- Add the can of salmon to a bowl along with the breadcrumbs and egg. Mix all ingredients and then let cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will allow the spices to blend well and the breadcrumbs time to absorb moisture.
- After about 30 minutes, form the salmon mixture into 2 patties measuring 3-4 inches each.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and oil on medium heat. Once the butter has melted and the foam is gone, add the salmon patties to the skillet. Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until they are browned.
- Serve by placing one burger on each bun. Add 2 Tbsp of Guacamole and top each with a handful of spring mix. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 517.15 Kcal Carbohydrates 42.15 G Protein: 29.15 G Fat: 25.9g Sodium: 1152.45mg Fiber: 4.7g