Welcome to Random Things Beth Makes With Leftovers In Her Fridge! It’s a quick fix Broccoli Pesto pizza that exceeded my expectations. This pizza exceeded my expectations, and I will be making it again.
TORTILLAS FOR THE WINS!
This Broccoli Pesto pizza was made quickly and easily as possible using a tortilla crust. Tortillas are easy to make and provide the best crispy and thin pizza crusts. You’re missing out if you haven’t tried a tortilla for a pizza crust.
Pesto –traditionally known as “pesto alla Genovese”—is one of the most popular sauces originating in the Italian region of Liguria. The original pesto is a thick, cold sauce made from crushed garlic, hard cheese (such as parmesan cheese), and basil leaves; enriched with European pine nuts, coarse salt, and extra virgin olive oil. It packs a nice garlicky punch and a rich grassiness.
I used the pesto I had in my kitchen as my pizza sauce. I used some pesto in my pantry as my pizza sauce. The oil soaked into the tortilla, giving it an almost fry bread-like texture. Some mozzarella was added to the top. Finally, some red pepper flakes were sprinkled on top. This combination is unexpectedly amazing, and I am in love.
CAN FRESH BROCCOLI BE USED?
However, the broccoli won’t cook simultaneously as the pizza. This will result in a more raw broccoli topping. You can also par-cook the broccoli before you start. The best thing about frozen broccoli is that it has been parboiled before being frozen, making it tender when it is thawed.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU PUT ON YOUR BROCCOLI PESTO PIZZA?
Here are some ideas for adding to the pesto and broccoli: sun-dried tomatoes, red peppers, goat cheese or bacon. Although you might not want to use all of them, it would be easy to add a few.
You can also use any toppings you prefer on your pizza, even if you don’t like pesto or broccoli. I have been known to go to the grocery store’s salad bar to get a little bit of something to add to my pizzas.
QUICK FIX BROCCOLI PESTO PIZZA
This quick-fix Broccoli Pesto Pizza makes it easy to get your pizza fix. It has a crispy tortilla crust and is super thin.
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
- 1 8-inch flour tortilla ($0.24)
- 2 Tbsp pesto ($0.37)
- 1/2 cup frozen broccoli florets thawed ($0.28)
- 2 oz. shredded mozzarella ($0.42)
- 1/2 oz. Crumbled Feta (about 1 Tbsp). ($0.27)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper ($0.02)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400oF. Bake the tortilla for 6 minutes on a baking tray. * Take the tortilla out of the oven.
- Once the tortilla has been baked, chop the broccoli florets. To remove excess water, lightly dry the broccoli with a paper towel.
- Spread the pesto on the tortilla. Then, add the chopped broccoli, crumbled mozzarella, feta, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Bake the pizza topped for 6 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
*Ovens and tortillas are not all the same. Cooking times may vary. When the tortilla is being pre-baked, be sure to keep an eye on it.